This is one of the simplest lasagnas you can make – but make no mistake about it, ITS DELICIOUS. The secret behind the great flavour is in the homemade Tomato Sauce. Make your own, or find out how to make a delicious B.I.B. sauce right here: Tomato Sauce Recipe
Once you’ve got a great sauce you can add any ingredients you like to your lasagna: Ricotta cheese, Parmesan, Sweet Peppers, Zucchini, Mushrooms, etc.
Serves 4-6 people
- Pre-heat oven to 375 F
- Pour the olive oil in the bottom of a square or rectangular baking tray and rub it along the bottom and sides (this is so that the bulk of your delicious lasagna doesnt stay stuck to the sides of the pan. Have you ever tried to chew on the sides of a baking pan? Not easy. Not impossible….but not easy)
- Pour a few tablespoons of sauce in the pan and spread around the bottom of the pan. Line 3 or 4 (depending on the size of your tray) lasagna noodles along the bottom and top again with sauce.
- Line eggplant slices on top of noodles, sprinkle with salt and pepper and some grated cheese. Sprinkle with some chili peppers.
- Cover the eggplant layer with more noodles, sauce, spinach, salt, pepper and cheese and more chili peppers.
- Repeat until you’ve reached to top of the pan – ideally ending with noodles, covered with sauce and a generous sprinkling of cheese. (SEE VIDEO for the best explanation of this)
- Loosely cover with foil (so the cheese doesn stick to it!) and put into the oven’s middle rack. After 30 minutes, remove foil and continue to bake for 15-20 minutes or until cheese just starts to brown.
- Remove and DO NOT DIG IN!! Find some sense of discipline, for the love of God, and wait at least 20 minutes for the lasagna to set. Cut yourself a piece, top with a few tbsp of leftover tomato sauce and enjoy tremendously. Find it in your heart to share with others.
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 4 cups of homemade tomato sauce
- Boiled Lasagna Noodles (or the no-boil kind, if you prefer) – enough for at least 4 layers
- 3 cups of grated Mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups of grated strong Cheddar cheese
- 1 large eggplant, thinly sliced
- 4 cups spinach leaves
- 1/2 cup of chili peppers in oil
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly cracked Pepper, to taste