Enjoy a frittata today! A lot of you may look at this recipe and say “I cant eat that many eggs”. Well youre not supposed to, you fat bast–err, you crazy nut! This is a dish meant for sharing with friends and loved ones. Omelets are for the lonely and selfish. Frittatas are for the generous and giving. And feel free to add grated cheeses, chunks of cooked meat and another vegetables and herbs that you love to eat (or want to get rid of).
If you want a thicker and fluffier version of this frittata, you can beat the eggs for longer, incorporating more air into them. You can also fry the eggs in a smaller sized skillet.
Serves 5 people
- Add oil and butter to a large skillet over medium heat. Add potatoes and onions, and fry until they start to brown
- Add half the salt and black pepper, all the cumin seeds and chilies and all the garlic, peppers and zucchini. Continue to fry this mixture over medium heat for 4 minutes.
- Beat the eggs well, adding remaining salt, black pepper and the fresh cilantro. Add to the spicy potato mixture, stirring egg around to help it cook. Lower heat to medium low and continue to cook frittata for 4-5 minutes or until it sets, with just a little bit of runniness on the top of the frittata
- Pre-heat broiler. Put skillet under the broiler — NOTE: if the pan is oven friendly, you can put the whole thing in, otherwise – leave the handle out of the oven, with the oven door open. Broil until top of frittata is fully cooked through, typically for 20-60 seconds depending on how runny it was when they went in
- Let Frittata cool for about 5 minutes. Invert onto a platter and cut into wedges. Sprinkle fresh lime juice over it and serve warm, at room temperature or even cold!
- 8-10 eggs
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 boiled potato, diced small
- 1/2 onion, diced small
- 1/4 cup of diced bell peppers
- 1/4 cup diced zucchini
- 3 garlic cloves sliced thin
- 2 green chilies, minced
- 2 tbsp hot chilies in oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 5 stems & leaves of fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 fresh lime