Healthy. Tasty. Life-altering. This dish stands out as one of the best things to ever come out of the Punjab (Besides semi-pro wrestler Tiger Jeet Singh, of course).
Serves 4 as a main meal, with steamed rice or roti.
- Heat vegetable oil in a medium sized pot over medium-high heat. Add onions
and fry until they are semi-browned.
- Add all the dried spices including the brown sugar and continue to fry for 1
- Add GOG, half of your fresh ginger, curry leaves, tamarind paste and tomato
paste. Fry for 1 minute.
- Add fresh tomatoes, turn heat down to medium and fry for 4 minutes or until
tomatoes start to break down.
- Add minced green chilies, if thats how you roll (and you should roll that
way), and the chick peas. Stir well, cover and turn heat down to medium-low.
- After 7 minutes, add 1/2 cup of water. Cover and continue to cook for
another 7-8 minutes. Add lime juice and stir. Serve garnished with fresh
cilantro and the remaining fresh ginger. Prepare to have your mind blown.
- 1 can Chick Peas (540ml)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 medium onion, diced finely
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp Garam masala
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp of brown sugar
- 2 tsp GOG (Garlic Onion Ginger puree)
- 10-12 curry leaves – optional
- 3 slices of ginger, julienned
- 1/2 tsp of tamarind paste
- 1 1/2 tbsp of tomato paste
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 2 green chilies, minced (or to taste)
juice of 1/2 lime