‘A Bangin’ Baingan!’
A spicy scramble of eggplant and tomato that’ll bring your meals, sandwiches or appetizers to life! Follow this baingan bharta recipe, and I promise you, it will be the best you ever try! This is how to make Baingan Bharta!
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Cut three slits into both sides of eggplant and wrap tightly in foil. Roast for 45 minutes or until eggplant collapses and is cooked through. Alternatively, you can reluctantly microwave it, covered, for 15 min.
- Heat a pot or wok over medium-high and add vegetable oil. Add onions and brown them slightly.
- Add dry spices, GOG and Chilies.
- Add crushed tomatoes and turn heat to medium low. Let fry for 10-15 minutes, until mixture starts to dry.
- Once your eggplant has roasted let it cool down for 5 to 10 min. Remove all the flesh with a spoon, and discard the skin. Chop the flesh or quickly purée in three short bursts in your food processor.
- Add eggplant to spicy tomato mixture, mix well and add lime juice. Garnish with coriander, mint and ginger and serve!
Note: you can leave off the ginger, let the mixture cool and use as a sandwich spread, a dip or a topping for canapés!
- 1 large eggplant
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 5 tbsp of crushed tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 jalapeño, minced
- 3/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp GOG (ginger-garlic purée)
- 4 stems of fresh coriander, with leaves – chopped
- 6 mint leaves, chopped finely
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 3 slivers (slices) of ginger, julienned