Sorry Weight Watchers…sometimes you just gotta indulge.
Butter chicken is often made in a two-step process. Step 1 involves marinating and cooking
the chicken, similar to the way you would make Tandoori chicken. That’s exactly how I do it, and
our recipe for Tandoori Chicken can be found by clicking here. Step 2, which is the recipe below, involves making a creamy curry sauce and adding the cooked chicken to it.
Serves 4-5 people
- Put cashews in a blender or food processor and grind to a powder. Add a few teaspoons of water and puree to a fine paste. Reserve.
- Heat vegetable oil in a heavy-bottomed pan over medium to medium-high heat. Add the chopped onions and fry until they are golden.
- Add Cinammon stick, turmeric, chili powder, ground coriander and Garam Masala. Fry for 30 seconds.
- Add the GOG paste and fry for 2 minutes.
- Add butter and fry until it has melted.
- Add crushed tomatoes and fry for 4 minutes.
- Add 1 – 2 tbsp of the cashew paste (depending on how thick you want your curry sauce to be). Fry for another 2 minutes.
- Turn heat to medium low and add cream. Let simmer for 2 minutes and add Tandoori Chicken pieces.
- Stir well and simmer for another minute or until the chicken is heated through. Garnish with dried fenugreek and cilantro and serve over basmati rice or with an Indian flatbread, such as roti or naan and enjoy! In moderation!!
Note 1: If you are not using salted butter or salted cashews, you may want a little bit of salt, say a 1/2 tsp, to the sauce.
Note 2: All complaints regarding “that’s not how my mother makes it” can be sent to ThenEatYourMothers@ButterChicken.com
- 1/4 cup salted butter
- 2 cups of boneless Tandoori Chicken
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 tbsp GOG (Garlic-Onion-Ginger paste)
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp Garam Masala (or you can buy)
- 15-20 salted cashew nuts – blended into a paste with a few teaspoons of water
- 3-5 tbsp crushed canned tomatoes (depending on how red you like your butter chicken)
- 1 cup cream (10, 15 or 18%)
- 1/2 tsp dried fenugreek leaves (Kasoori Methi)
- 5 springs of fresh coriander (stems and leaves)